- Beau’s became certified as a B-Corp (Benefit Corporation) in 2014. B-Corps are third-party audited to ensure they meet strict standards for our environment, our employees, and social good we do. We were the first-ever certified B-Corp brewery in Canada. Our sustainability programming is employee-led by a volunteer B-Corp Committee.
- We brew our beer with 100% renewable electricity through a partnership with Bullfrog Power. Our partnership with Bullfrog Power reduces our CO2 emissions footprint by more than 110 tonnes of CO2e annually.
- Our beer labels are printed on recycled paper.
- We backed the installation of solar panels at Just Food, a community farm and local food organization in Ottawa. We have also supported the work of OREC (Ottawa Renewable Energy Co-op), to increase the number of renewable energy projects in the City of Ottawa.
- We have wastewater treatment equipment installed onsite at the brewery, which eases our impact on our local environment. Our spent grains go to local farmers for feed. Spent yeast and by-products from the brewery are sent to a bio-digester where they create energy to run a local farm.
- We’re committed to lowering our water and resource usage. Our brewery is equipped with motion-sensing lighting and low-flow toilets.
- Through our Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP) Beau’s employees are buying ownership in the brewery. This helps ensure that people who helped build the company are the stewards of its future, and the keepers of its commitment to environmental sustainability.
- We support employees in embracing company sustainability values with incentives that include a carpooling/ride-to-work program and paid volunteer days. Our employee owners organize a community garbage pick-up on the streets of the small Eastern Ontario village we call home.
- In 2018 we participated in an innovative waste and food loss study that has helped us greatly lower our annual energy use by wasting less beer in our daily processes. Results are here. http://www3.cec.org/flwm/case-studies/
- Since 2006, Beau’s has raised more than $2 million for charity, community, independent arts, and equality. We have challenged ourselves to add another $4 million to that total by 2025.
Sustainability Awards for Beau’s
2017 Sustainability Award (LCBO “Elsies”)
2017 Prescott-Russell Excellence Awards – Community Participation
2017 Community Builder of the Year Award (Ottawa United Way)
2016 Built To Last Award (B-Corp #BInspired Awards)
2014 Environmental Commitment Award, LCBO “Elsie” Awards
2013 Sustainability Accomplishments Award, Ontario Craft Brewers Centre of Excellence Awards
At Beau’s we are continually building on the same values with which we started the brewery: essentially, the belief that beer tastes better when you can feel good about drinking it.