- Our beer is certified organic.
- We work with three local hop yards from Ontario, two local malt suppliers (from Ontario and Québec) and a yeast supplier from Guelph, Ontario, as often as we can. Our beer is made with local spring water. Our purchasing policy favours local suppliers, those with good environmental track records, and who treat their employees fairly and with respect.
- Our beer labels are printed on recycled paper. Same with our posters, business cards, brochures, and coasters.
- We were the first craft brewery in Canada to choose 100% green natural gas in addition to 100% green electricity through a partnership with Bullfrog Power. Two of our delivery trucks are ‘Bullfrog-Powered’ too, reducing the environmental impact of delivering beer.
- Through our Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP) Beau’s employees are buying ownership in the brewery. This helps ensure that people who helped build the company are the stewards of its future, and the keepers of its commitment to environmental sustainability.
- We were the first Canadian brewery to achieve Benefit Corporation certification, a third-party measurement of a company’s commitment to people and planet, and a commitment to maintain these standards as well as being open and honest with the people in our communities who buy our beer.
- For three years we ran the Greener Futures Project. All profits from this membership-based exclusive barrel-aged beer club were invested into sustainability initiatives at our brewery.
- We backed the installation of solar panels at Just Food, a community farm and local food organization in Ottawa. We also support the work of OREC (Ottawa Renewable Energy Co-op), to increase the number of renewable energy projects in the City of Ottawa.
- We have wastewater treatment equipment installed onsite at the brewery, which eases our impact on our local environment. Our organic spent grains go to local farmers for feed, and spent yeast and organic by-products from the brewery are sent to a bio-digester where they create energy to run a local farm.
- We’re committed to lowering our water usage, and re-use it when we can, through measures including upgraded tank cleaning procedures and optimized equipment. We keep a close eye on the ratio of litres of water used per litres of beer produced.
- We wash and re-use our signature 600 ml glass bottles.
- We support employees in embracing company sustainability values with incentives that include a carpooling/ride-to-work program. Twice a year our employee owners organize a community garbage pick-up on the streets of the small Eastern Ontario village we call home.
- We donate to hundreds of independent arts and music, community-building and charitable organizations every year.
Sustainability Awards for Beau’s
2017 Sustainability Award (LCBO Elsies)
2017 Prescott-Russell Excellence Awards – Community Participation
2017 Community Builder of the Year Award (Ottawa United Way)
2016 Built To Last Award (B-Corp #BInspired Awards)
2014 Environmental Commitment Award, LCBO “Elsie” Awards
2013 Sustainability Accomplishments Award, Ontario Craft Brewers Centre of Excellence Awards
2013 Community Builder of the Year Award (Ottawa United Way)
2013 Community Achievement Award (Prescott Russell Excellence Awards)
At Beau’s we are continually building on the same values with which we started the brewery: essentially, the belief that beer tastes better when you can feel good about drinking it.