Full Time I.P.A. Spicy Lamb Meatballs with Chili-Mint Relish
Prep Time1 hour
Ideal Cooking Time20 minutes
Number of servings6 appetizer servings
1/4 cup Full Time I.P.A.
3 slices white bread, crusts removed, diced
2 tsp. sambal oelek (chili garlic sauce)
2 tbsp. olive oil + 2 tbsp. for the tray
1 small yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch dried chili flakes
2 lbs. ground lamb
1 small bunch mint, leaves only, chopped
1 cup Italian parsley, leaves only, chopped
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup pecorino cheese, grated
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. freshly milled black pepper
For the Chili-Mint Relish:
2 tbsp. Full Time IPA
1 small red onion, finely minced (to equal about 1 cup)
1 tbsp. white vinegar
2 tsp. cane sugar
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & finely diced
1 tsp. harissa (hot chili pepper paste)
8 leaves fresh mint, shredded
2 tbsp. good quality olive oil
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- In a container, mix the milk and chili sauce. Place the bread in the milk mixture. Let soak.
- Grease a baking sheet with a rim with the olive oil. Set aside.
- In a frying pan heat 2 tbsp. of the olive oil. Add the garlic, chili flakes, and onion. Let cook for 3-4 minutes or until onions are soft. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Place the ground lamb in a mixing bowl. Add the mint, parsley, eggs, ricotta, pecorino, salt, and pepper.
- Remove the bread from the milk mixture. Squeeze the bread to remove any excess milk.
- Add the bread to the bowl with the ground lamb.
- Add the reserved onion to the bowl with the ground lamb.
- Mix well with your hands and form into 1 1/2″ balls and place on the baking sheet. Roll around so the balls are well coated in the olive oil.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for 18-20 minutes. Cut one meatball in half to check doneness.
- Remove from oven. Serve the meatballs with a chili-mint relish
To make the relish:
- place the red onions in a bowl.
- Mix in the cane sugar and vinegar.
- Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.