Ninho do Corvo: Vegan Coconut Curry with Cashew and Cauliflower
Prep Time20 min.
Ideal Cooking Time30 min.
Number of servings4-6 people
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
• 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced in 1-inch long pieces
• 1 medium sweet potato, diced into 1-inch cubes
• ½ head of cauliflower, cut into small florets (about 2-3 cups)
• 1 bell yellow or orange pepper, diced
• 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
• 1 cup diced shallot (approx. 4 shallots)
• 2 carrots, thinly diced or chopped (about 1 cup)
• ½ teaspoon cumin, ground
• 4 green cardamom pods, whole
• ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 Thai chilies, optional
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 4 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
• 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
• 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
• ¼ cup roasted cashews, ground, plus ¼ cup for garnish
• 8 ounces tofu, pressed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 4 kaffir lime leaves
• 1/4 cup Ninho do Corvo
• To garnish: Juice of 1 lime, fresh cilantro and extra cashews, lightly toasted.
1. Add coconut oil to a large pot and place over medium high heat. Add in garlic, ginger, lemongrass, sweet potato, cauliflower, bell pepper, Thai peppers, shallots, shiitake and carrots. Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until carrots start to soften.
2. Next stir in spices, kaffir leaves and salt. Add in coconut milk, tomatoes, beer and ground cashews. Stir until smooth. Gently add in tofu and stir. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes and carrots are fork tender. Serve immediately with cilantro, fresh lime and toasted cashews.