Crepes with Beau’s Abbey Style Cheese, Apples and Peach Chutney
A great recipe, the crepes mildly nutty tones play well with the chewy maltiness of Lug- Tread. The apples and abbey style cheese are balanced by the mild fruit notes and crisp finish of this great beer.
Prep Time45 minutes + 20 minutes to rest the crepe batter
Ideal Cooking Time15 minutes
Number of servings4 appetizer servings
2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
6 ounces Beau’s Abbey Style Cheese, finely diced
1/2 cup peach chutney or good quality prepared chutney
For the crepes (makes 12 8-inch crepes):
3/4 cup Lug-Tread
1/4 cup sunflower seeds, hulled
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 cup kale, blanched and roughly chopped
1 cup homogenised milk
4 large eggs
3 tbsp. melted butter
1 cup white flour
1 cup large flake oats
1/4 tsp. freshly milled black pepper
extra melted butter for the crepe pan
- To make the crepes: In the work bowl of a food processor blend the eggs, salt and pepper. Add half the flour and the milk and blend well.
- Add the remaining flour, Lug-Tread, kale and melted butter. Blend well.
- Remove the batter to a large, clean bowl. Fold in the oats and the hulled sunflower seeds. Let the batter rest for 20 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, brush with butter.
- For each crepe, pour about 4 tablespoons of batter on to the centre of the skillet. Tilt the pan to spread batter evenly until it covers the entire bottom of the skillet. When the edge peels off easily and begins to brown, it’s time to flip the crepe with a spatula. Continue cooking for about 10 seconds and then remove from skillet.
- Place the cooked crepes on a plate, cover the crepes with a clean tea towel to keep them from drying out.
- To assemble the crepes: Lay 8 of the crepes out on a clean surface and spread a tablespoon of chutney on each crepe.
- Divide the cheese between the crepes. Spread the apples evenly over each crepe.
- Fold the crepe over itself to form a half moon, and again to form a triangle.
- Place the crepes on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 4-5 minutes or until warm but still soft.
- Remove to a clean plate and serve with lightly dressed salad greens.