Lug Tread Curried Chickpea Dip
Dinner party season is upon us. Make sure your guests are happy right away by having this curried chickpea dip waiting for them when they arrive; or upstage your hosts by bringing this dip to the potluck along with some Los Cantores tortilla chips and Lug Tread.
Prep Time10 min
Ideal Cooking Time1 hour
Number of servings2-4
1 cup dried chickpeas/garbanzo beans
1 lemon, cut into quarters
2 cloves garlic, whole
4 cups water
1 tsp chili flakes
¼ cup olive oil, plus 2 tbsp for serving
2 tbsp curry powder
1-1.5 tsp salt (kosher)
1 tsp smoked paprika, for serving
1. In a medium pot, boil chickpeas*, lemon, garlic, chili flakes, 1 tbsp of curry powder and water.
2. Simmer chickpeas 45 minutes to 1 hour, topping up water as needed, until peas are tender and skin begins to fall off the peas.
3. Remove from heat, drain peas *reserving liquid* for the blending process.
4. In a food processor, purée tender peas, (lemon, chilies and garlic also) with remaining curry powder, salt, ¼ cup olive oil, and enough reserved liquid to blend into a smooth paste.
5. Cool completely, check seasoning for salt.
6. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and smoked paprika for service.
7. Enjoy with a pint of Lug Tread.
*If using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse well, re-boil for 10 min starting with step #1.