Bacon Carbonara Mac & Cheese
Prep Time20 minutes
Ideal Cooking Time30 minutes
Number of servings4 servings
100 mL. Iron Shirt Pale Ale
1 lb. Pasta, penne or fusilli
1 lb. smoked bacon, sliced and diced.
1 medium onion, sliced
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium tomato, diced
250 ml. heavy cream
2 tbsp. butter
1 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
4 tbsp. Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- In a large pot, boil salted water for pasta; follow pasta manufacturer’s directions and timing.
- Drain the cooked pasta and toss with 2 tbsp. butter
- In a pan on medium- high heat, cook the sliced bacon until slightly crispy.
- Toss the the onions into the pan with the bacon. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onions become translucent in colour. Add the mushrooms to the pan and stir to coat.
- Continue to cook the bacon, mushroom and onions, stirring every for 2-3 minute to allow for caramelization of the mushrooms. If you stir them too much, they will release their water and never brown.
- When the mushrooms begin to brown, stir the garlic into the pan. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beer and turn the heat to high. Let the beer reduce to half before adding the cream.
- Add in the cream. Cook for 2 -3 minutes, stirring occasionally. When cream begins to thicken, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Toss in the shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes and pasta. Stir well.
- Top with Parmesan cheese before serving.
- Enjoy alongside a glass of Iron Shirt Pale Ale.