Strong Patrick Shepherd’s Pie
Break away from tradition and make this pie a bit sweeter by swapping out the potatoes for mashed sweet potatoes.
Prep Time: 30-40 min
Cook Time: 35 min.
Yield: 4 servings
100 mL Strong Patrick
2 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, minced
3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. cinnamon, ground
½ tsp. cloves, ground
1 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed and drained
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed and drained
1 cup carrots, diced and cooked
4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 tbsp. Butter
¼ cup heavy cream or sour cream or milk
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and of 1 tsp. salt. Boil until tender (about 15-20 minutes). Drain and mash.
- Season the mashed potatoes with 1 tsp. salt, 2 tbsp. of butter and ¼ cup cream. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground meat, minced onions, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. black pepper, cinnamon and cloves. Add Strong Patrick beer and mix well. Meat should be loose.
- In a pan on medium- high heat, cook the meat mixture for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- In another bowl, mix together the corn, peas, carrots and 2 tbsp. of butter.
- Once the meat is cooked, drain off half the liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- In an oven safe dish, layer the cooked meat on the bottom followed by the seasoned vegetables. Top with a layer of the mashed potatoes.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven for 35 min or until brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy alongside a glass of Strong Patrick.