Cranberry Coffee Cake with Almond Glaze
For the cake:
½ cup butter, soft
1 cup + 2 tbsp. white sugar
2 large eggs
2 ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
1 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1 tsp. almond essence
¾ cup cranberries, thawed, drained, reserve liquid.
1 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp. plain yogurt, sour cream, or milk
1 tbsp. reserved cranberry liquid
1. In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
2. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between additions
3. Mix in the yogurt, vanilla, and almond essences.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
5. Fold in the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Reserve ½ cup of the dry mixture.
6. Toss the drained cranberries in the left over flour mix. Coat well.
This will help prevent berries from sinking and bleeding thru the cake.
7. Toss the floured berries into the batter and fold.
8. Pour into greased bunt pan. Make sure batter is level. Spin the pan to help distribute.
9. Bake at 350° for 40-45 min.
10. Let rest 5 min. before removing to cooling rack.
For the Glaze:
1. In a bowl, mix together the yogurt and cranberry liquid. Slowly mix in icing sugar until desired thickness of glaze is achieved.
2. Once the cake has cooled, drizzle with glaze over top.