NOW HIRING: QA/QC SUMMER STUDENT
Job Title: QA/QC Summer Student
Date: March 2017
Reports to: QA/QC Lab Manager
Beau’s All Natural Brewing is a close-knit, family and friends company. We take collective pride in creating unique, wonderful and organic craft beer, conceived with honest consideration for the environment and our local communities, and delivered with a sense of friendly relationship building. A job with Beau’s means joining a new family – including all the family outings, eye rolling humour and wacky siblings you can handle. We have an assertive company culture of camaraderie, strong leadership, ethics, innovation, passion and genuine enthusiasm for what we do. Life moves pretty fast at Beau’s All Natural. We brew using equal parts art and science. And we always have time for our friends.
We are currently seeking QA/QC Summer Student to work in our lab; if you have a background in food sciences or lab technology, we’d love for you to join the team! This position will be from May-August and located in Vankleek Hill, ON.
The QA/QC Summer Student position will give hands-on experience on the core scientific methods of analysis and data interpretation used in the brewing industry in the context of quality assurance/quality control. This position is open to both college and university students still in school, and recent graduates.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Chemical and microbiological analysis of beer, wort, & raw materials
- Data Entry
- Raw Material, Wort, & Beer Sample Collection
- Upon completion of this employment, the Junior Technician should be able to perform the following tasks:
- Aseptic Technique
- Determine Yeast Cell Count & Viability
- Sterile Filtration
- Microorganism Identification Using: Gram Staining, Catalase Test, Selective Media, Oxidase Test, Microscopy
- Full Analysis of Packaged Beer Quality Parameters Using the Following Techniques:
- Bitterness (IBU UV-Vis Method) – pH
- %ABV (Distillation & NIR Spectroscopy) – Colour (SRM UV-Vis Method)
- Final Gravity (Density Measurement) – Vicinal Diketone Analysis (UV-Vis Method)
- Dissolved Oxygen (DO), & Total Package Oxygen (TPO)
- Enrolled in or recent graduate from a related program (Lab Technician, Food Sciences, etc.)
- Knowledge of brewery process or experience in Food Sciences is a plus.
- Previous production laboratory experience
- Legal Drinking Age in Ontario
- Work will be based in Vankleek Hill, ON
- Work will be in a laboratory setting
- Steel-Toed boots will be required
- Standards of Brewing: A Practical Approach to Consistency and Excellence, Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D., D.Sc., 2002, Brewers Publications, Boulder, CO, USA.
- Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation, Chris White & Jamil Zainasheff, 2012, Brewers Publications, Boulder, CO, USA.
- Principles of Brewing Science: A Study of Serious Brewing Issues – 2nd Edition, George Fix, Ph.D., 2010, Brewers Publications, Boulder CO, USA.
If the job description above sounds like you, please apply to the attention of Kate at email@example.com and tell us about yourself in a creative cover letter. We appreciate all applications; however only those that meet the qualifications will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Beau’s is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity and inclusion in our brewery. We promise to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally protected factors. We are also able to provide accessibility accommodation during the recruitment process – just let us know with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work with you to make sure your needs are met.